You don’t need a New Year’s resolution or be on a low carb diet to enjoy these yummy cheese crisps! But that’s actually how we came across them. We started going low carb a few months ago and a friend recommended cheese crisps as a delicious and satisfying substitute for crackers. OMGoodness, we totally loved them! One problem though, they are really expensive. A small size package runs about $7.99 (even at our favorite online store, Amazon). So we looked up recipes online hoping we could make them for ourselves.
Big bonus, they are so extremely easy to make! To make plain crisps only, you only need shredded Parmigiano Cheese. That’s It! Nothing else. Using a spoon or a few large “pinches” with your fingers, place onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
It just became an instant reaction to start tweaking the recipe and adding different kinds of cheeses and seeds to the recipe. Mix together in a bowl or sprinkle onto the cheese placed on the cookie sheet.
When mixing a variety of seeds, we prefer mixing in the bowl and then spooning the mixture onto the cookie sheet.
You can see the cheese will melt, flatten and sizzle.
For making plain parm crisps, bake at 375˚ for only a few minutes (5-10 depending on your preferences). Remove from oven when the edges brown.
Plain or with seeds, they are extremely satisfying & delicious! After creating lots of different combinations the following is our absolute favorite combination of ingredients. (the amounts & ingredients are flexible, per your preferences)
Here’s our favorite recipe combination:
- 2 cups Shredded Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (Kirkland’s brand at Costco)
- 1 cup Shredded Parmigiano Cheese (Stella brand cheese shreds, at our local Safeway grocery store)
- 1/2 Shredded Romano Cheese
- 2 TBSP Grated Parmigiano Cheese
- Roasted Sesame Seeds
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Hempseed (like Chia seeds, with higher protein & has a nutty flavor)
- Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- Same as when cooking the plain crisps, prepare the cookie sheet with parchment paper. (do not use tinfoil or add any oil, spray or any nonstick products. The crisps will not stick to the parchment paper.
- If using hempseed in the ingredients bake at 350˚, if not adding hempseed bake at 375˚.
- Mix all ingredients together. A teaspoon is a good thing to use if making small crisps. A tablespoon is a good size when making larger crisps. Just allow a little room around each because the cheese will spread a little when it melts.
- When golden brown edges and cheese is flat and sizzling, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
These crisps are awesome with guacamole! They go so well with soup, crumbled in salad, top with cold cuts, tuna or chicken salad, sliced avocado… the sky is the limit. And of course, enjoy plain for a delicious and crunchy “nosh” aka snack.
We would love to know what special ingredients you like to add to the recipe or on your cheese crisps?!