Awesome Mexican Style Quinoa~Healthy Meal or Side Dish. My daughter Megan had been inspired by a recipe on Pinterest, we made our own version together for a healthy delicious dinner. This recipe can be made as a meal or side dish. You can make this as a one pan meal, or I chose to add in sauteed ground turkey(taco seasoned)(ground beef works well too!), for a hearty meal my husband would enjoy~he went back for seconds!
It tastes as good as it looks! Lowfat & Healthy, Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth (*vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels, I prefer frozen grilled corn(trader joes)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, saute until fragrant, approx. 1 minute.
- Stir in quinoa, broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Squeeze in lime juice, chopped cilantro and stir.
- Mix in optional cooked ground turkey or chicken or beef.
- Garnish with diced avocado, nonfat sour cream, light mexican cheese blend
- Serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do! Also- try our Italian Style Quinoa Recipe Too!