Absolute BEST Hummingbird Cake Recipe – A springtime favorite that is perfect for holidays or any day. We found this recipe a long time ago on Southern Living & for sure, its the best recipe we have ever tried. Original recipe is made in layers & this time we are making it in a Bundt Style Hummingbird Cake.
Ingredients for cake batter:
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped pecans (amount depends on your preference, we love lots of pecans)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large)
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple (do NOT drain)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (Glaze ingredients listed under step #4)
- Prepare Cake Batter: Preheat over to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8-10 minutes or until toasted & fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Stir together flour & next 4 ingredients in a large bowl & stir in eggs & next 4 ingredients, stirring until fully moistened. Sprinkle 1 cup toasted pecans into a greased & floured 14-cup Bundt pan & then spoon batter over pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour & 10 mins or until a long wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack 15 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely (approx 2 hours).
- Prepare Glaze: Process 4 oz cream cheese– cubed and softened, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon milk in a food processor until well blended. Add another 1 tablespoon milk, 1 tsp at a time, processing until smooth. Immediately, spoon or glaze over cooled cake, and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup toasted pecans on top. **Please note that when making this, we made 1-1/2 times the frosting. This amount just doesn’t seem enough & we LOVE the frosting glaze! YUM!
**One option to applying the cheese cake frosting is to put in plastic bag, cut off tip & drizzle it. Cut the bag small for thin or larger for fatter drip.
Another option is to make a Hummingbird cake in layers. For recipe & pictures, come see our post Best Hummingbird Cake Recipe
This post is being shared at some of our favorite link parties.