We absolutely love this recipe but can’t take credit for making it up. If you look online, there are many versions of this recipe available. We found some of our favorites on Pinterest by typing “Halloween 7 Layer Spider Web Dip” in the search box. With so many to choose from, it’s totally ok to pick a few of your favorites and then mix, match and combine to create whatever makes the best recipe for your preferences.
- 1 (16oz) can refried beans
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chunky salsa (we like mild but you might want medium or hot)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese (fresh or prepackaged for convenience)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatos, cut in halves
- 3-4 green onions, diced
- 3 oz (1/2 of a 6oz can) drained black olives
- 1 cup guacamole
- tortilla chips
- 1 10-12″ serving platter or pie pan (We are using an inexpensive plastic spider web shaped platter)
- Mix together the taco seasoning with the refried beans. When thoroughly mixed, spread evenly across the bottom of platter.
- Gently spread 3/4 cup of sour cream across the top of the bean mixture.
- Very gently spread salsa across top of sour cream and then a layer of guacamole. Keep in mind you do not want your salsa to be runny. You can drain some of the excess liquid beforehand if needed.)
- Sprinkle the cheese around the edges and top with sliced black olives, sliced or diced tomatoes, and sliced green onions.
- To create the web: put the remaining sour cream into a sandwich size plastic baggie; twist top of bag around so sour cream gathers fully into the corner (this also will keep it from coming out the top when squeezing out the bottom); cut a small corner off (the smaller the cut corner the thinner the line- the bigger cut, the thicker line); Squeeze and form your web pattern over the guacamole.
- Because we do not want any guests to eat a plastic spider by accident, we rather make spiders with the black olives. The bodies are a half olive and the legs are the halves cut into slices. How CUTE is that!!! and safer too. The plastic spiders look awesome to the side, hung on the platter or around & on the table.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.